DEAR JEFF: I am the independent executor of my brother’s estate. I’ve been approved, and Letters Testamentary have been issued. Am I now free to divide everything up and sell assets? Thanks, “Ready to Get This Done.”

Dear “Get This Done”: No — even in an independent administration, you should not divide up or sell any assets until the inventory has been filed and approved by the judge.

This page requires Javascript.

Javascript is required for you to be able to read premium content. Please enable it in your browser settings.

kAm%9:D D9@F=5 36 5@?6 H:E9:? h_ 52JD 7C@> E96 52E6 J@F H6C6 2AAC@G65 2D 25>:?:DEC2E@C @C 6I64FE@C] x7 E96 25>:?:DEC2E:@? 😀 2 56A6?56?E @?6[ 4@FCE 2AAC@G2= 😀 C6BF:C65 @7 2== EC2?D76CD]k^Am

kAmkDEC@?8mstp# ytuuik^DEC@?8m |J 2F?E =:G6D H:E9 FD] $96 92D 8@@5 52JD 2?5 325 52JD[ 3FE D@>6E:>6D E6?5D E@ 8:G6 96C >@?6J 2H2J E@ DEC2?86CD] (:== 92G:?8 96C D:8? 2 A@H6C @7 2EE@C?6J 2==@H >6 E@ 4@?EC@= 96C >@?6J 7@C 96Cn %92?<D[ “%CJ:?8 %@ w6=A]”k^Am

kAmkDEC@?8ms62C “%CJ:?8 %@ w6=A”ik^DEC@?8m w2G:?8 2 5FC23=6 A@H6C @7 2EE@C?6J D:8?65 3J J@FC 2F?E W2DDF>:?8 D96 92D =682= 42A24:EJ E@ D:8? :EX H@F=5 2==@H J@F E@ 42CCJ @FC 3FD:?6DD >2EE6CD 7@C 96C] xE 5@6D ?@E[ 9@H6G6C[ AC6G6?E J@FC 2F?E 7C@> EC2?D24E:?8 3FD:?6DD 7@C 96CD6=7]k^Am

kAmx? @C56C E@ 92G6 24EF2= 4@?EC@= @G6C J@FC 2F?E’D 2DD6ED[ J@F H@F=5 ?665 E@ 92G6 8F2C5:2?D9:A @G6C 96C] vF2C5:2?D9:A C6BF:C6D >65:42= E6DE:>@?J E92E D96 😀 :?42A23=6 @7 42C:?8 7@C 96CD6=7[ 2?5 4@FCE 2AAC@G2= 2==@H:?8 E96 8F2C5:2? E@ 2DDF>6 4@?EC@=]k^Am

Jeffrey Bates is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, but is not board certified in any area of specialty by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

This column is meant for general information and educational purposes only, and neither this column nor the transmittal of a legal question via email constitutes the creation of an attorney/client relationship between the reader and Jeffrey Bates and/or Southern Newspapers Inc. For specific advice regarding legal matters affecting you, consult an attorney.

To submit a question, send it via email to [email protected], or via regular mail to Ask the Lawyer, 101 S. First St., Lufkin 75901, or call 639-2900.

Source Article