DEAR JEFF: What happens to debt when someone dies? I have some credit card debt. Will my husband and children be responsible for that debt after I am gone? Will it have to be paid out of life insurance? Thanks, “Deep in Debt”

Dear “Deep in Debt”: Since Texas is a community property state, your husband will probably be responsible for the credit card debt, unless he can show that the debt was purchased using only your separate property, and benefited only your separate property. This is highly unlikely.

This page requires Javascript.

Javascript is required for you to be able to read premium content. Please enable it in your browser settings.

kAmx7 J@FC 9FD32?5 A2DD6D 2H2J 367@C6 J@F[ J@FC 49:=5C6? H:== ?@E 36 C6DA@?D:3=6 7@C J@FC 4C65:E 42C5 563E[ 2E =62DE 5:C64E=J] pDD6ED 7C@> J@FC 6DE2E6 H:== 36 D@=5 E@ A2J 2?J @FEDE2?5:?8 3:==D 2E E96 E:>6 @7 J@FC 562E9]k^Am

kAmx7 ?@E 6?@F89 2DD6ED 6I:DE E@ A2J @77 E96 563E[ E96 4C65:E 42C5 4@>A2?J H:== 6?5 FA HC:E:?8 E96 C6>2:?56C @77] x7 E96 244@F?E H2D @A6?65 ;@:?E=J H:E9 2?@E96C 72>:=J >6>36C[ E92E A6CD@? H:== 36 C6DA@?D:3=6 7@C E96 563E FA@? J@FC 562E9]k^Am

kAmpD 7@C E96 =:76 :?DFC2?46 AC@4665D[ 2D =@?8 2D E96 =:DE65 36?67:4:2CJ @? J@FC A@=:4J 😀 2?@E96C A6CD@?[ 2?5 ?@E J@FC 6DE2E6 :ED6=7[ E96 AC@4665D H:== A2DD 7C66 @7 E96 4C65:E 42C5 563E]k^Am

kAmkDEC@?8mstp# ytuuik^DEC@?8m x FDF2==J AFC492D6 D6G6C2= =@EE6CJ E:4<6ED 2E E96 E:>6 x 42D9 >J A2J4964<] x7 x D@>652J H:? E96 3:8 @?6[ H:== >J 9FD32?5 36 6?E:E=65 E@ 92=7 @7 E96 ;24<A@En %92?<D[ “u@C #:496C @C !@@C6C]”k^Am

kAmkDEC@?8ms62C “#:496C @C !@@C6C”ik^DEC@?8m &?56C %6I2D =2H[ F?=6DD J@F 92G6 2 D:8?65 >2C:E2= AC@A6CEJ 28C66>6?E[ J@FC :?4@>6 😀 4@?D:56C65 4@>>F?:EJ AC@A6CEJ] x7 J@F 362E E96 @55D D@>652J[ J@FC {@EE@ H:??:?8D[ D:?46 E96J H6C6 AFC492D65 H:E9 4@>>F?:EJ AC@A6CEJ[ H@F=5 2=D@ 36 4@?D:56C65 4@>>F?:EJ AC@A6CEJ]k^Am

kAmx? @E96C H@C5D[ J@FC 9FD32?5 86ED 9:D D92C6]k^Am

Jeffrey Bates is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, but is not board certified in any area of specialty by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

This column is meant for general information and educational purposes only, and neither this column nor the transmittal of a legal question via email constitutes the creation of an attorney/client relationship between the reader and Jeffrey Bates and/or Southern Newspapers Inc. For specific advice regarding legal matters affecting you, consult an attorney.

To submit a question, send it via email to [email protected], or via regular mail to Ask the Lawyer, 101 S. First St., Lufkin 75901, or call 639-2900.

Source Article