Update 4:00 PM

Redding police officials have released the identity of the Redding shooting suspect, arrested earlier Sunday morning, following a high-speed pursuit crash, as well as details on Sunday’s early morning shooting.

Investigators identified the suspect as James Joshua Noyes, 33, of Redding. According to RPD, Noyes has a lengthy criminal history with a variety of arrests and prior convictions, including narcotics, theft-related offenses, domestic violence-related offenses, driving under the influence, resisting arrest, and unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon. He was sentenced to prison for burglary in 2017 and was involved in a battery of another inmate causing serious bodily injury. 

a man looking at the camera

© Provided by KRCR Chico-Redding

Noyes was released from prison in February 2020.

On Sunday morning, at 3 a.m., RPD officers responded to ampm on Buenaventura Boulevard and Railroad Avenue for a shooting. When the officers arrived, they found a man with a gunshot wound on the ground in the parking lot. Noyes left the scene prior to officers arriving. 

RPD says the victim was taken to a local hospital for medical care but they, unfortunately, died shortly after arriving.

After speaking to multiple witnesses, investigators were able to determine Noyes as the shooter. 

RPD officers investigated a recent domestic violence incident on October 3, involving Noyes. According to RPD, Noyes was arrested and booked into the Shasta County Jail on Saturday morning, October 3, for possession of methamphetamine for sales, drug paraphernalia, and a parole violation. 

Five hours after being arrested, Noyes was released from the Shasta County Jail, and within hours after being released, the shooting incident at the ampm occurred. RPD says Noyes was released from the jail due to multiple issues facing the jail, such as prisoner overcrowding and the Department of Corrections not transporting multiple sentenced inmates taking up jail bed space.

During today’s high-speed pursuit, RPD says Noyes lost control of his Mustang as he exited southbound I-5 at Knighton Rd and spun-out before crashing into a fence. Officials say Noyes exited his vehicle and tried to run away on foot. A patrol car following Noyes was unable to stop in time as Noyes ran out in front of it. He was then struck by the patrol car, 

RPD K9 Otto was used to apprehend Noyes as he failed to obey officers’ commands. He was taken into custody and transported to a local hospital for treatment.

a dog looking at the camera

© Provided by KRCR Chico-Redding

When Noyes is released from the hospital, he will be booked into the Shasta County Jail for homicide, felon in possession of a firearm, felony evading, resisting, and a parole violation. 

His bail will be set at $1 million.  

Original Report

A Redding shooting suspect was arrested on Sunday after a high-speed pursuit ending in a crash.

According to Sergeant Danny Smetak of the Redding Police Department (RPD), a shooting occurred on Railroad Avenue and Buenaventura Boulevard in Redding at 3 a.m. on Sunday. 

RPD says the shooting victim was taken to the hospital and they were able to identify the shooting suspect and the suspect’s vehicle. A Be On the Look Out (BOLO) alert was issued for the suspect’s vehicle; a 90s white Ford Mustang with racing stripes.

Sgt. Smetak says officers found the suspect’s Mustang while conducting follow up investigation and attempted to stop it on Lake Boulevard. That’s when officers say the suspect fled and a pursuit ensued, with speeds reaching over 100 MPH.

The high-speed pursuit ended when the suspect crashed their Mustang into shrubbery on the southbound Knighton Road offramp.

a person riding a motorcycle on the side of a road

© Provided by KRCR Chico-Redding

RPD says the suspect was ultimately detained and taken to a local hospital for medical clearance. 

Sgt. Smetak says the suspect’s ID will be released at a later time. 

a person riding on the back of a car

© Provided by KRCR Chico-Redding

The southbound Knighton Rd. offramp on Interstate 5 (I-5) was temporarily closed while California Highway Patrol (CHP) and RPD officers worked the scene. The offramp reopened around 3:30 p.m.

This is an ongoing investigation. Check back for updates as new information becomes available.

Source Article